Looking to personalize or make changes to your spaces in Rock? This product guide explains everything you should know about space settings in Rock.
There are five different kinds of spaces you might encounter: your personal space, 1:1 spaces, the 'Rock Customer Support' space, group spaces and an 'All hands' space for corporate domains. Don't worry, we'll explain what you can do in each one throughout this guide.
You can access space settings in two ways in every space:
- Press "Details" in the top right corner of your space.
- Press the character icon next to the space image in the left corner of your space.
📝Note: when a space is converted to PRO the icon will change but you will still be able to access the space settings by pressing it.
Your personal space
Your personal space is just for you. It is created when you first create your account. You can use the space to add any messages, tasks, notes or files you want to keep to yourself. If you want to share a task from your personal space with another user you can still duplicate the task across spaces.
Your personal space can't be unpinned, hidden, archived or deleted. It will always be placed first in your pinned spaces section. There are no personalized adjustments in the settings of your personal space.
A 1:1 space is just for you and another user. There is no way to invite more people to a 1:1 space in the future, thus the "Invite" button does not work for 1:1 spaces. You can communicate and collaborate with anyone in a 1:1 space. Send unlimited messages, tasks, notes, files and meetings. 1:1 spaces are great for individual conversations with team members, clients, freelancers, partners or volunteers.
There are a few settings you can manually adjust in 1:1 spaces:
- Mute the space: This will block all space notifications until you manually unmute the space. Notifications from other (not muted) spaces will still work as usual.
- Pin/unpin: You can pin a space if you want it to appear in the "📌 Pinned" section in the top left corner of your screen. This allows you to always keep a space close.
- More: The "More" button provides you with two options:
- Archive a space if you plan to stop using a 1:1 space.
- Block the other user if you don't want to receive 1:1 messages from them or want the space to disappear. Blocking a user does not mean they are blocked across all group spaces. You can unblock a user in the future if you want to do so.
👥 Group spaces
Group spaces allow you to collaborate with as many people as you want. You can create them from a template, or create a completely new one. You can also duplicate them if you have a PRO plan. Just like 1:1 spaces you can mute the space if you don't want to receive notifications and pin the space if you want to keep it close at all times.
Once your group space is created you also receive an invite link, which allows you to add members more easily. If you want to invite people later on you can find space invites in space settings.
Anyone can join you in a group space, and there are several ways to personalize them to your liking. Lets dive right into it!
🔄 Change your space icon
You change the icon of your space in two ways:
- Emoji library: Choose an icon from the emoji library. There are hundreds of options to choose from across categories!
- Computer file: Upload a file from you computer as the space image, you can adjust the corners to your liking. Make sure that the image looks good when shown in a circle as the corners will be cut.
You can change the icon as many times as you want, and you need to have member or admin permissions to change the space icon. Make sure to save your changes after you change a space icon!
📩 Invite people to join your Group spaces
You can invite as many people as you want to join your Group spaces. Make sure that you are either a member or admin if you want to add new users. There are two ways to add new members.
Add users with their email
There are two places in the settings panel where you can do this. One is in the top left of the space settings panel. The second is in the bottom, right under "Members".
After pressing "Invite" or "Add members" a new panel will appear. If you are planning on adding a large number of people to the space you can paste up to 100 emails separated by commas, semicolons, spaces or newlines. You can only add users as members or guests when initially inviting them. After they join the space you can upgrade them to admins if you are an admin yourself.
Add users through invite links
Add users from the web, social media, discussion boards or anywhere else through invite links. Admins and users can access invite links in the space setting under members. The option will disappear for members if admins disable the feature for a space.
It is not possible to create an invite link for admin status, but you can always upgrade a user once they join the space if have admin permissions. There are a few options in the panel:
- Copy link: Copy your invite link either by pressing the Copy link button or by selecting the URL and saving it.
- Reset my link: Reset your own link, so your current link stops working
- Reset all invite links (admin only): Reset all the links in the space, so any existing links stop working.
- Disable (admin only): Remove the option to enter a space through a link completely. The panel will disappear for members and any existing link will stop working. Admins can always turn the option back on if needed.
Leave, archive, delete or duplicate spaces
Four advanced space settings open up when pressing "More" in the top right corner of your space settings:.
- Leave a space: Leave a space if you don't want to be part of it anymore. You can only rejoin a space if a member or admin invites you back.
- Archive space: If you don't want to see the space anymore or a project has been completed, you can always archive the space. This way you don't lose the conversations, tasks, notes and files in the space.
- Delete space: Note that you must be an admin to delete a space. After pressing "delete space" we ask you to confirm once in Rock and once through your email. Deleted spaces cannot be retrieved so make sure you don't want to use it anymore.
- Duplicate space: Note that you must be a PRO user to duplicate a space. You can move over all tasks and/or notes to a new space.
👀 Change member roles
If you want to give a user more or fewer permissions you can manually change their role. Note that you must be an admin to change member roles, select the dropdown arrow next to the user and select their new role:
- Guest: Guests can chat, start video calls, and comment on tasks & notes. If guests try to edit or create new tasks or notes their changes will not save. Guests will only be able to remove a folder if the user added a folder while in a different membership tier and was later demoted to guest.
- Member: Members can invite new members and guests, create/edit/delete tasks & notes, and link/unlink cloud storage providers.
- Admin: Admins can remove users, messages and manage user roles. Only admins can upgrade spaces to PRO and add new integrations.
🗑️ Remove users
Users can be removed by pressing the 🗑️ icon which appears when hovering over their name in the member list.
Integrations [PRO Only]
Integrations are only accessible if your space has been upgraded to PRO. Check out our dedicated guide for Zapier integrations to learn more about bots and integrations in Rock.
The 'Rock Customer Support' space
The Rock Customer Support space is your personal contact point with the Rock support team. Any message you send in this space is directly sent to the team. You can use it to ask questions, share feedback or anything else you want to discuss with the team.
The Rock Customer Support space cannot be deleted or archived. There are two personalized adjustments for the "Rock Customer Support" space:
- You can mute the space if you don't want to receive notifications from the space. Note that the messages are still sent through.
- You can pin the space if you want to keep the Rock Customer Support close at all times for questions, feedback or anything else.
🤝All Hands space
When you sign up with a unique domain we add all new signups from that domain to an “All Hands” space. This makes it easier to find team members on Rock, especially when starting out.
Only one admin will be assigned to the All Hands space, which is the first person in the domain to create a Rock account. It is also not possible to up- or downgrade users in the space. Besides that you can make use of the space in the same ways you use group spaces with messages, tasks, notes, meetings and files in one place. If you don't want to use the All Hands space you can remove it.
🚀 PRO Spaces
Users that upgrade their account can upgrade up to 10 spaces to PRO at the same time. Upgrading a space means that PRO functionalities will be enabled for all members within the space that has been upgraded, regardless of their membership plan. Both 1:1 and group spaces can be upgraded to PRO.
Each PRO space includes:
- Custom fields in tasks
- Recurring tasks
- Sprints in the Tasks mini-app
- Share files up to 50MB in size (instead of 10MB)
- Webhooks and integrations with apps such as Zapier or Github
- Export tasks to CSV and Excel
- Unlimited free members in your PRO spaces
Check out the dedicated guide for PRO spaces for more information!