Just getting started with Rock? This short guide explains all you need to know about creating new spaces in Rock. You can invite anyone to work with you. Whether people are part of your team, partners, freelancers or anything else, anyone is welcome to join you on Rock, without limitations.
Creating your first spaces
You can create a new space by pressing the blue ➕ button in the bottom left corner of your screen. After pressing the button, you will be able to choose whether you want to create a 1:1 space or a group space:
- 1:1 Spaces: a 1:1 space is for you and another user on Rock. There is no way to invite more people to the space and there are some limitations in editing 1:1 spaces on Rock. They are useful for direct communication with team members, partners, clients, freelancers, etc. The button to create a 1:1 space only lights up when adding one email, add more people and it becomes grey again. A 1:1 space will directly be created when you press on "Create 1:1 space".
- Group Spaces: Group spaces allow you to communicate and collaborate with as many people as you want. Only group spaces can be upgraded to PRO. Check out our dedicated PRO guide for more information on that. Note that you can also create a group space for yourself or only invite 1 person. You will always be able to invite more people in the future.
📝 Note: people can be invited to a 1:1 or group space even if they don't have a Rock account yet. They will receive an e-mail notification with the space invite.
User roles for group spaces
To change user roles you only need to hover over the dropdown menu and decide what role you want to give the group of users you are inviting. There are 3 different group space roles:
- Guest: Guests can chat, start video calls, and comment on tasks & notes. If guests try to edit or create new tasks or notes their changes will not save. Guests will only be able to remove a folder if the user added a folder while in a different membership tier and was later demoted to guest.
- Member: Members can invite new members and guests, create/edit/delete tasks & notes, and link/unlink cloud storage providers.
- Admin: Admins can remove users, messages and manage user roles. Only admins can upgrade spaces to PRO and add new integrations.
📝 Note: users in a 1:1 space with you will have the same permissions you have, so changing their user role will not limit their activities in the 1:1 space.
If you are planning on adding a large number of people to a new space you can also paste 100 emails that are separated by comma, semicolon, space or newlines to save yourself some time. You can also use this method when the space has already been created, in case you want to make some tweaks to your space before pushing it live.
📝 Note: We create an "All hands" space when you sign up with a corporate domain so you can easily find back team members.
Setting up your group space
When you press "Create Group Space" a second panel appears with some relevant information fields. You can manually change the space image to a different emoji (press the emoji icon😁) or upload an image from your own device (press the cloud icon☁️).
You are also able to name the space and add a description to your space for more information. All information can be changed when the space is created, so you can always go back and change these things if needed.
Creating a template space
You can choose from a variety of template spaces if you want to set up your workflow quicker or if you want to see a space in action. Template spaces provide additional information about the workflow, task lists and space management. Rock currently provides eight custom templates for different activities:
- 💼 Operations: manage day-to-day activities, tasks and responsibilities.
- 🤝 Recruiting: Review candidates, set up interviews, and move to offer.
- 🗺️ Product Roadmap: Prioritize feature requests and track your product development
- 🎨 Product Design: Discuss new features and design product improvements.
- 📣 Marketing Campaign: discuss designs, content, and strategy with your team, freelancers or clients.
- 🖥️ Engineering: Manage the different stages of the engineering process.
- 📔 Project Management: manage projects from start to finish.
- 💬 Customer Support: Complete tickets and keep customers happy with a customer support process that flows.
Invite links 🔗
Once your space is created you also get a special invite link. You can share this link on social media, other messaging apps, discussion forums or on your website if you want to give people easier access to your space.
You can adapt the link to invite new users as members or guests depending on the permissions you want to give users in your new space.
Missing a template or have any questions about creating spaces? You are always welcome to reach out to us in the Rock Customer Support space for anything!